Tuesday 31 May 2011

"blueing" my nuts

No its not that cold at the moment, I'm talking a cheap way of protecting my steel nuts and bolts as well as refurbing the rusty ones.

I've been doing this method since I learned it at school when we had decent workshop facillities like furnaces, and metal work rooms. I made a bottle opener and heated it to just under cherry then dipped it in old engine oil. the finish was superb and was a nice satin black.

well I tried it on the engine bolts and they came up a treat. I stuck them in a drill and used wet and dry to get most of the rust off then used wire wool to get a good finish. Got my butane torch and heated till I got bored (I think the steel is pretty hard being engine bolts) and quenched it in some old engine oil.

I think it came out pretty good and its tough too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised this technique doesn't change the temper of the steel. How can you be sure you're not weakening the bolts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it doesn't get heated that much and is a common old school technique!

    ReplyDelete