Seeing as I am on a roll, I had been toying with the idea of using Halfords metallic VHT paint. It says black on it but its more of an anchorite grey, which looks nice. I've used it before on a CB125 exhaust and if prepped right, is hard wearing and hard to scratch.
so this is what I came up with
looks cool! thinking of doing the cyl head only and leaving the jugs alone
today I managed to do a couple of hours on the bike. The Temp was about 1'C so working outside was bearable.
I had the problem of how to mount gauge cover from a previous post and looked into a 2 1/2 " Munsen bracket. They are not cheap and tried to borrow one, but no-one had any.
Whilst mooching in the car i came across a clip bracket for my car extinguisher. Brilliant, it fits
also had an alloy footrest off a go kart. I now decided to mount the gauge at the side of the engine rather than clutter the headstock. So I made a cardboard template and cut out the ally using the angle as the mount for the clip.
now to give it a polish, and there we go. The standard NPT fitting on the oil gauge fits the thread on the pressure switch so its a direct replacement
The caliper came today so I gave a it a thorough clean. what a really nice bit of kit!
the body has a blued coating so won't need painting and the pins etc are stainless.
so I've ordered new EBC pads from Ghost bikes in preston and it's good to go.
I've spoken to another xs400 friend in London who has had made a caliper bracket and he warned me that the original caliper holes are not perpenducular to the fork leg. Looking closer, he's right and will need to take this into account when designing this. I do have a couple of diagrams that I can use for the mounts and spacer, I'll post them here even though it says SR400 the mods have fitted brakes the same side as the XS.
Managed to weld in some tabs to bolt a piece of diamond plate ally.
there is only 20mm of space, so anything I do in there will be tight.
I have a combined regulator/rectifier that I got off ebay years ago, so to make it fit and look (and be) a bit cooler, I have sunk it into the plate so the fins for the reg/rec are in the cooling air.
here's the top of the installation
the connector is from RS components and costs a whopping £20 delivered the intention is to have a neat cabling solution and still be able to part the component if there is a problem.
I am going to install a couple of relays in front of the battery along with a couple of inline fuses. The relays are for the headlamp low/high beam and one for the horn due to the lightweight switches on the handlebars.